BOC Guidelines on Balikbayan Boxes
Are you planning to send Balikbayan Boxes in the Philippines?
Qualified Filipinos While Abroad may send balikbayan boxes. This includes Non-Resident Filipinos, Overseas Filipino Workers, and Resident Filipinos. (CAO 01-2018)
Q: How may I avail exemption from the payment of duties and taxes?
A: To avail exemption, balikbayan boxes:
1. Shall not exceed Php150,000 in value
2. Must contain personal and household effects only; and
3. Shall not be in commercial quantities nor intended for barter, sale, or for hire.
The privilege may only be availed up to three (3) times in a calendar year. When the above conditions are not met, and the frequency in availing exemption exceeded, duties and taxes shall be collected by BOC.
Q What are the items not allowed in balikbayan boxes?
A: Prohibited goods, Restricted goods unauthorized by law or regulation, and Regulated goods without necessary permits are not allowed in Balikbayan boxes.
Q. What are the documents I need to submit to BOC?
A: 1. Information Sheet which can be secured from the website, www.customs.gov.ph, Consolidator, or Value Added Service Provider
2. Photocopy of biographical page of passport; and
3. Invoice or receipt, if any.
These shall be submitted to the Consolidator abroad which shall transmit the same to BOC, through the Deconsolidator/freight forwarder in the Philippines.
FRIENDLY REMINDERS FROM BOC:
1. Transact only with DTI-accredited freight forwarders/deconsolidators listed at dti.gov.ph.
2. Coordinate with concerned regulating agency for regulated goods.
3. Declare the correct items and value to avoid penalties.