- WHAT ARE DUTY FREE STORES?
- WHERE ARE THESE STORES LOCATED?
- WHAT ARE SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES?
- WHO ARE ENTITLED TO DUTY FREE SHOPPING PRIVILEGES?
- WHAT ARE THE LIMITS TO DUTY FREE PRIVILEGES?
- CAN A FREQUENT TRAVELLER AVAIL OF THE PRIVILEGE EVERYTIME HE/SHE TRAVELS?
- WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS ATTACHED TO DUTY FREE SHOPPING?
1. WHAT ARE DUTY FREE STORES?
Duty free stores are retail establishments licensed by the government to sell duty and tax free merchandise for the convenience of travelers. Government earns revenues from the operation of these stores which are utilized to defray tourism and other related projects.
2. WHERE ARE THESE STORES LOCATED?
Those operated by the Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA) are generally located at Fiesta Mall Shopping Center and NAIA. The following are the existing stores:
- Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Pasay City Departure Lounge Arrival Area, Arrival Ramp Extension
- Fiesta Mall Shopping Center, Ninoy Aquino Ave., Paranaque
3. WHAT ARE SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES?
Special Economic Zones are selected areas of the country with highly developed infrastructure or which have the potential to be developed into agri-industrial tourist/recreational, commercial, banking, investment, financial centers. Duty and tax-free flow of goods are allowed provided such goods are consumed therein. Once these goods are brought out of the eco zones, they become subject to applicable duties and taxes.
4. WHO ARE ENTITLED TO DUTY FREE SHOPPING PRIVILEGES?
All passengers arriving from abroad are entitled, subject to the limitation in A2.6 and the conditions in A2.7.
All passengers arriving from abroad can avail of the privilege within forty-eight (48) hours from date of arrival, upon presentation of valid passport, flight ticket and boarding pass.
5. WHAT ARE THE LIMITS TO DUTY FREE PRIVILEGES?
Limits as to amount:
- Balikbayans: 18 years old & above = US$2,000; Minors (below 18 years) = US$250.
- All other Passengers: 18 years old & above = US$1,000; Minors (below 18 years) = US$250.
Limits as to quantity:
- Cigarettes: two (2) reams
- Tobacco: two (2) tins
- Liquor and/or wine: two (2) bottles
- Non-consumable items of each kind whose value exceeds US$200.00: only one (1)
6. CAN A FREQUENT TRAVELLER AVAIL OF THE PRIVILEGE EVERYTIME HE/SHE TRAVELS?
Yes, but the total purchase for any calendar year must not exceed Ten Thousand US Dollars (US$10,000.)
7. WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS ATTACHED TO DUTY FREE SHOPPING?
The duty-free shopping shall be subject to the following conditions:
- Purchase shall only be made in the United States dollars (US$) or other acceptable foreign currencies;
- Purchases shall be made within forty-eight (48) hours from date of arrival;
- The privilege is non-transferrable. Purchases shall be made personally by the passenger himself;
- The Balikbayan privilege can be availed of only once a year and if the Balikbayan arrives again within the year, he/she will be considered a regular passenger for shopping purposes;
- A minor can purchase consumable items only. A minor cannot purchase liquors, wines, cigarettes, electronics, and home appliances;
- A tourist can purchase electronics and home appliances but the purchases shall be subject to payment of duties and taxes.